The Acura MDX checks off many boxes, giving you a well-rounded vehicle that does a lot well. This Acura SUV is an upscale, versatile, and family-friendly SUV with a sporty side. When considering this luxury midsize SUV, you’ll want to find out where the Acura MDX ranks for reliability. Let’s find out.
What are the Acura MDX reliability scores?
The Acura MDX receives a reliability score of 4.0 out of 5.0 from RepairPal. This places the MDX second out of 14 models for the midsize luxury SUV class. This ranking is based on three factors which are:
- Cost – The Acura MDX’s average annual repair and maintenance costs are $571 compared to $807 for luxury midsize SUVs.
- Frequency – MDX owners bring their vehicles to the repair shop for unscheduled repairs 0.45 times per year compared to 0.6 for the class.
- Severity – The probability of severe repairs for the Acura MDX is 8% compared to 11% for midsize luxury SUVs.
What are the three most common Acura MDX problems?
Unlike its brand sibling RDX, the Acura MDX has nine problems reported in the collected RepairPal data. The three most common among these are:
- Check engine and D4 lights flashing – reported by 322 owners
- Shudder or vibration while driving at speeds between 35 and 40 MPH – reported by 226 owners
- Debris in transmission due to failed torque converter clutch – reported by 48 owners
The data reported by RepairPal covers model years from 2010-2020. When considering one of these pre-owned models of the MDX Acura SUV, the first two problems could be troublesome, but the third wasn’t a common issue, with only 48 reported incidents.
Where does the 2023 Acura MDX rank among midsize luxury SUVs?
The newest version of the MDX sits in the 13th position among 21 midsize luxury SUVs. This ranking comes from U.S. News & World Report, giving us a full list of luxury SUVs and how they rank. Considering Acura is more of a premium brand and not in the same price range or class as Mercedes-Benz, BMW, Audi, or Porsche, a mid-class ranking for the Acura SUV is pretty good.
The top 15 luxury midsize SUVs in the U.S. News rankings are:
- Mercedes-Benz GLE-Class
- BMW X5
- Porsche Cayenne
- Genesis GV80
- Lincoln Aviator
- Lincoln Nautilus
- Land Rover Range Rover Sport
- Audi Q7
- Volvo XC90
- Audi Q8
- Land Rover Range Rover Velar
- Land Rover Discovery
- Acura MDX
- Infiniti QX60
- BMW X6
Is the 2023 MDX a good SUV?
The latest version of this Acura SUV includes a modern, upscale cabin with comfortable first and second rows of seats. Drivers can expect a wealth of standard features, powerful engines, ample cargo room, and good handling with this luxury SUV.
Although a good SUV to drive, the MDX is far from perfect. The infotainment system is tricky to operate, and the tight third row makes passengers relegated to this area uncomfortable on long drives. The MDX is also mired with a soft brake-pedal feel, which lessens the sporty feeling.
Will there be an Acura MDX in your driveway in the future?