As the popularity of SUVs continues growing, the size and expense of these vehicles expand on both ends of the spectrum. While large, luxury SUVs provide comfortable space inside; a compact SUV offers significant value. So let’s explore three of the most affordable smaller compact SUVs available for 2023.
The most affordable compact SUVs
iSeeCars ranked the most affordable compact SUV based on each model’s lowest base MSRP and value determined by its scoring system. The organization notes that, in some instances, local market conditions create higher prices for some models.
In addition, some models benefit a great deal from advancing to a higher trim level worthy of the additional cost. Still, we’ll stick with the base model’s MSRP, fuel economy, and included special features.
2023 Toyota Corolla Cross
The front-wheel drive (FWD) 2023 Toyota Corolla Cross L starts at around $23,060. The base model features a 169-horsepower 2.0-liter four-cylinder engine and Continuously Variable automatic Transmission (CVT) that gets an EPA-estimated 32 mpg combined city and highway fuel economy rating.
Each Corolla Cross includes Toyota Care’s two-year or 25,000-mile maintenance plan covering “normal factory scheduled maintenance” and two years of 24-hour roadside assistance. Other base model special features include:
- Tilt/telescoping steering wheel
- Hands-free phone voice command
- Toyota Safety Sense 3.0 (TSS 3.0)
- Pre-Collision System with Pedestrian Detection (PCS w/PD)
- Full-Speed Range Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (DRCC)
- Lane Departure Alert with Steering Assist (LDA w/SA)
- Lane Tracing Assist (LTA)
- Road Sign Assist (RSA)
2023 Volkswagen Taos
The 2023 Volkswagen Taos S base model starts at $24,155 and features a 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine with 158 horsepower and 184 lb-ft of torque. The drivetrain includes an eight-speed automatic transmission and FWD that returns an EPA-estimated 31 mpg combined city and highway.
Notable standard equipment includes:
- Automatic LED headlights and LED daytime running lights
- USB-connected smartphone integration (compatible device required)
- Rearview camera
- Blind-Sport Monitor with Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Forward Collision Warning and Autonomous Emergency Braking with Pedestrian Monitoring
- Front and rear side-curtain airbags
2023 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross
A base 2023 Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross ES starts at $25,795. The Eclipse Cross ES gets an EPA-estimated 26 mpg combined thanks to its 152-hp 1.5-liter four-cylinder engine and eight-speed-CVT-equipped FWD drivetrain.
The base model ES safety features include:
- Forward Collision Mitigation (FCM) with Pedestrian Detection
- Lane Departure Warning (LDW)
The Mitsubishi Eclipse Cross features a five-year or 60,000-mile basic warranty and a 10-year or 100,000-mile powertrain warranty, and other standard technology includes:
- Automatic climate control with cabin air filter and rear heat ducts
- Eco Mode switch with Eco indicator
- Steering wheel-mounted voice recognition control
- LED headlights, tail lights, and foglights