After some more testing, tweaking, and add in some minor frustrations, I have gotten another reworking of the track layout finished. Several significant changes have taken place, and this is all to get things worked out before I start the official series later this Summer.
Primarily it’s become patently obvious that I need to increase the width of the speed trap ramp to double it’s width. It’s simply painful to try and squeeze a 1/8-1/10 MT into that little 24 inch space. I had been thinking about this a while, so I’ve got a plan in place. Essentially I will make two more ramps, attach the reflectors to their outer edges, and latch those ramps onto the existing one, which will make it still easily portable. This change will be a massive improvement. The other changes are in the overall dimensions and layout. The speed trap ramp will now butt up against the outfield grass, and the turn 1 tires will come up to the edge of the ramp vertically. The small ramps will be midway between the turns. Turn 2 will be a bit out front of the starting ramp, and slightly in from turn 1. Ok, this sounds confusing, and there are still some official tape measurements to be made, but it’s very close. Here’s the layout:
If I had to take a guess, I think that from the end of the start ramp to the beginning of the speed rap ramp is about 40 ft. Once I get the speed trap modified, I will set this back up, test, and take official measurements. At that point I believe things will be fully in place, and I’ll start getting race rules defined, and start getting flyers and social media going after I pick a weekend to get things started. My plan is to have four series events per year, with trophies awarded at season’s end for point leaders, as well as cash prizes at each event. I will also get an event format defined.